The Nelson County Community Fund was established in 2000 by Nelson County resident Gordon Smyth, who donated $10,000 as seed money to start a fund dedicated to tackling the many challenges confronting local citizens and agencies. NCCF operates with a totally volunteer board of directors.
Grants are made to local charitable organizations and agencies with the expressed goal of improving the life of Nelson County residents.
NCCF collects contributions from generous donors and raises funds through events such as the Opportunity Ball. NCCF also partners with local nonprofits, and businesses on fundraisers to address compelling issues in our county.
NCCF, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization; all contributions to NCCF, Inc. are tax-deductible.
The NCCF raises funds – large and small -to give out as grants.
NCCF board members span the county geographically, culturally, and socioeconomically. Many have direct experience in finance, marketing, small businesses, and fundraising. See member biographies below.
Twice a year, the NCCF reviews grant requests from non-profit charitable organizations serving Nelson County. Based on the relative merits of the various grant requests and available funds, disbursement recommendations are made.
Who is Who on the NCCF Board?
- Retired CEO for Blue Ridge Medical Center
- Grant writer for BRMC
- Member, Board of Directors for Region Ten Community Services Board
Victoria C. Sabin
- Retired hotel development executive, interior designer, and entrepreneur.
- Longtime Wintergreen/ Stoney Creek homeowner and ardent supporter of Wintergreen Performing Arts.
- Retired CPA and former CFO for for-profit companies as well as charitable organizations
- Semi-retired CPA with Hostetler Stott
- Retired CFO, Virginia Industries for the Blind
- Board member, MACAA and City of Promise
- Nelson County High School teacher,
GED/Alternative Education/Special Education
- Board member, Nelson County Education Foundation
- Longtime community fundraiser and animal rescue advocate
- 30+ years with non-profits designing, leading and managing international health projects
- 5 years in public sector overseas (Peace Corps, US Agency for International Development)
- Advanced degree in public health (biostatistics and epidemiology)
- Episcopal priest and retired rector
- Co-director, Nelson Kid Care (supplemental meal program)
- Founder, the Nelson County Domestic Violence Task Force
- U.S. Marine Corps officer, retire
- Retired Nelson County High School teacher
- Former marketing communications executive and journalist
- Secondary school college counselor
- Department chair and director of curriculum development
Please get in touch with us if you are interested in learning more about the Nelson County Community Fund. We also welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions.
Nelson County Community Fund, Inc.
P.O. Box 253
Nellysford, VA 22958