The Nelson County Community Fund was established in 2000 by Nelson County resident Gordon Smyth, who donated $10,000 as seed money to start a fund dedicated to tackling the many challenges confronting local citizens and agencies.
NCCF operates with a totally volunteer board of directors under the charter of the non-profit Charlottesville Area Community Foundation.
Grants are made to local charitable organizations and agencies with the expressed goal of improving the life of Nelson County residents.
NCCF collects contributions from generous donors and raises funds through events such as the Opportunity Ball. NCCF also partners with local nonprofits, and businesses on fundraisers to address compelling issues in our county.
The NCCF raises funds – large and small -to give out as grants under the charter of the non-profit Charlottesville Area Community Foundation.
NCCF board members span the county geographically, culturally, and socioeconomically. Many have direct experience in finance, marketing, small businesses, and fundraising. See member biographies below.
Twice a year, the NCCF reviews grant requests from non-profit charitable organizations serving Nelson County. Based on the relative merits of the various grant requests and available funds, disbursement recommendations are made.
Who is Who on the NCCF Board?
- Retired CEO for Blue Ridge Medical Center
- Grant writer for BRMC
- Member, Board of Directors for Region Ten Community Services Board
Victoria C. Sabin
- Retired hotel development executive, interior designer, and entrepreneur.
- Longtime Wintergreen/ Stoney Creek homeowner and ardent supporter of Wintergreen Performing Arts.
- Retired CPA and former CFO for for-profit companies as well as charitable organizations
- Semi-retired CPA with Hostetler Stott
- Retired CFO, Virginia Industries for the Blind
- Board member, MACAA and City of Promise
- Retired member Nelson County Board of Supervisors
- Former nurse-practitioner at University of Virginia
- Wintergreen resident and practicing attorney based in Lovingston, VA
- Former Nelson County Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Member, Blue Ridge Medical Center Board of Directors
- Former U.S. Army officer, and financial and contracts administrator in Alabama and Northern Virginia
- Retired Nelson County High School teacher
- Former marketing communications executive and journalist
- Secondary school college counselor
- Department chair and director of curriculum development
- Director, Nelson County Community Development Foundation
- Manager, Nelson Center, LLC
- Nelson County resident since 1977
- Retired federal Director of Security
- Served on Nelson County School Board for 12 Years
- Dedicated to making Nelson a better place to live, work, and play
- Realtor since 1988 with Montague, Miller & Co. in Charlottesville
- Background in Banking
- Owns a Hereford Farm with her spouse in Arrington, VA
- Retired Western Union and AT&T Data Communications sales executive
- A longtime volunteer with Wintergreen Rescue Squad and other nonprofits
Sarah Jane Stewart
- Retired Program Officer, Virginia Health Care Foundation
- Founding Administrator of Blue Ridge Medical Center
Please get in touch with us if you are interested in learning more about the Nelson County Community Fund. We also welcome your questions, comments, and suggestions.
Nelson County Community Fund, Inc.
P.O. Box 253
Nellysford, VA 22958